Child Custody and Visitation
Top-Rated Family Law Attorneys
Handling the Complexities of Family Law: Child Custody and Visitation
The most challenging areas to navigate in a divorce case tend to be those involving children. At Antonoplos & Associates, we help our clients to sort out their disagreements whenever possible—or to prepare for litigation when agreements cannot be reached regarding Child Custody and Visitation. Our family law attorneys are licensed in Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia.
There are three key terms to know when entering a child custody and visitation lawsuit: Legal Custody, Physical Custody, and visitation. Legal custody refers to who is responsible for a child regarding their health, education, and general welfare. Physical custody deals with living arrangements and where the minor children will spend the majority of their time. Visitation concerns not only when you are able to see your children, however, it also encompasses when you are able to contact your child. Each of these arrangements can be some of the most personal and difficult issues to deal with and require that you have an experienced child custody and visitation lawyer.
We encourage you to call us at 202-803-5676 or directly schedule your free, no-risk consultation with one of our skilled attorneys today.
When the court makes a decision in regards to Child Custody and Visitation, there are a number of factors they take into consideration, such as:
- The child’s wishes, should they be old enough to have input
- Each parent’s financial situation and his or her ability to provide for the child
- Each parent’s home environment
- The bond that the child has with each parent
- The custody arrangement that would provide the most stability for the child
- The distance between the spouses’ homes
- Whether any orders of protection have been issued