Same-Sex Estate Planning
At Antonoplos & Associates we pride ourselves on serving same-sex estate planning needs of the LGBTA community in the Washington D.C. metro area. Our Attorneys take the time to get to know our clients, to learn their goals and objectives and then integrate them into a customized estate plan that meets their life objectives. This is never more important than when serving our same-sex clients with their estate planning needs. Our clients see us as part of their family and we hope you will as well when it comes time to discuss estate planning and administration. Estate planning allows you to provide for you and your partner according to your personal goals and objectives. Our estate planning attorneys have extensive experience counseling clients regarding same-sex marriage, civil unions and domestic partnerships as well.
Antonoplos & Associates Same-Sex Estate Planning Services
- A Simple Will or Complex Will If you and your partner don’t have wills and don’t live in a state where same-sex marriages are allowed, your state will determine who will inherit each of your estates. In those states, your surviving spouse gets nothing if there’s no will. (This, of course, won’t be the case if you live in a marriage equality state.).
- A Domestic Partnership Agreement, Or DPA Comparable to a prenuptial agreement, this contract is a useful way to address how you plan to share your income, expenses and property. In this agreement, you can specify which property you hold jointly and which is separate.
- HIPAA Authorization The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act allows you to authorize medical providers to discuss your condition and prognosis with your partner. Without it, doctors may claim that they can speak only with “immediate family” — and in most states, your partner is not considered “immediate family.”
- A Living Will And Health Care Power Of Attorney These documents allow your partner to carry out your wishes concerning your medical care.
- General Durable Power Of Attorney This document lets your partner manage your financial affairs if you become disabled.
[su_button url=”https://calendly.com/antonoplos-associates” target=”blank” style=”flat” size=”7″ wide=”yes” center=”yes” icon=”icon: star” desc=”Real Estate, Estate Planning, Probate, Construction, Business Law”]Schedule A Consultation with Antonoplos & Associates[/su_button]
REQUEST A CONSULTATION
Fill out the form below to receive a free and confidential initial consultation.